This 5-day immersion course is designed to familiarize testing professionals with the basics of the IBM Rational performance testing tool. Testers can build, enhance, and run scripts in a full-function Java IDE that integrates with IBM Rational Software Development Platform products. In addition to class lecture, students will be asked to complete labs to reinforce critical concepts and tool functionality. The first two days focus on the practical application of Performance Tester to resolve common performance testing challenges.
The advanced portion of the course is designed to enhance a student's knowledge of the performance testing lifecycle using IBM Rational Performance Tester. Web-based applications are the focus of the class, during which students are provided insight into the architecture of web-based applications, implications upon test planning, automation, execution, and analysis. There will be an emphasis on student exercises and labs applicable to real-world web applications and challenges. Extensive data correlation and parameterization techniques are addressed in the context of standard web clients, rich web clients, and desktop web clients. The course will require extensive Java programming in order to address the needs of business process automation and its requirements to properly model an application's end-user experience.
- A tester who: has little or no coding skills, limited test automation experience, generally new to performance testing. These testers may be responsible for: planning performance testing projects and activities, designing performance tests, implementing/executing performance tests using automated test tools.
- Users intending to be immersed within the performance testing life cycle, including the following: Performance Engineers, Test Automation Engineers and Quality Assurance Engineers
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Recall performance testing basics and document your plan for performance testing using a Workload Analysis Document
- Explore a training application (system under test) and exercise it in conjunction with Rational Performance Tester
- Use Rational Performance Tester to create, run, and modify performance tests
- Use Rational Performance Tester to manage test data using datapools and data correlation
- Use Rational Performance Tester to enhance tests with verification points, loops, and custom code
- Use Rational Performance Tester to design and enhance workload scenarios and schedules
- Use Rational Performance Tester to monitor test execution and analyze results
- Understand the fundamentals of a performance testing methodology in conjunction with the IBM Rational Performance Tester software
- Recognize the challenges and solutions for testing different web application architectures
- Comprehend the essentials of analyzing end-user perceived performance and system performance with the goal of achieving optimal application scalability
To benefit from this course, you should have:
- General understanding of Java and Web applications
- General understanding of applications for the Microsoft Windows operating system
- Experience working within the Eclipse platform
- Java programming experience, including the following topics:
- Basic object-oriented concepts, including class and method creation
- String Manipulation (String and StringBuffer classes)
- Regular Expressions (Pattern and Matcher classes)
- Java containers (Hashmap, ArrayList and Vector classes)
- File I/O (Streams, RandomAccessFile class)
- Flow Control (looping, conditional statements)
Students also registered for...
Advanced IBM Rational Performance Tester
This advanced course is designed to enhance a student's knowledge of the performance testing lifecycle using IBM Rational Performance Tester.Learn More
Essentials of IBM Rational Performance Tester
This introductory course is designed to familiarize testing professionals with the basics of the IBM Rational performance testing tool.Learn More